Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last Day of School

Today is *Bob's* last day of school. Oh, how we have changed.





Well, Bob's clothes - not so much. (I made him wear the same stuff.)

If you are wondering my feelings from approximately nine months ago...

http://emily-bobwicks.blogspot.com/2008/08/first-day-of-school.html

And how did the year go?

Well, it was a struggle at times. When looking back on something you tend to only remember the good times. Rose-colored glasses, anyone? I had to remind myself of all the things that I didn't like. Things that stressed me out. Things that I hope to never experience again.

And then April 17th happened. (I think) that was my last day of teaching in 2008. That corresponding day of 2009 was one of my hardest of the year.

And then.

Total peace.

I can't even begin to describe the feelings that I have had since then. Staying home with Etta is the best thing that ever could have happened. I am here with her almost all of the time. I do take some time to myself and do things that I enjoy. But there aren't many places that I HAVE to be. And to me that is important.

Staying home has been financially hard for us. It is a MUCH different lifestyle than we were living before. But you know what? I don't need satellite TV, an iPhone (or whatever everyone has), we hardly ever eat out (which makes when we do even more special and exciting), and any number of other "very important things" that people "have to have". You just make do. I want to stay home and I'm staying home. And it makes me smile. This on the day that it is 1:45 p.m., I am sitting unshowered (and not caring as I am about to go out and haul yard waste around on a sweltering day), smiling that my baby girl is asleep in her crib in her own house. Smiling that we had a fun picnic lunch at the park and got to stop and visit our favorite Jorgens boys. Smiling that dinner is basically ready and that when Bob gets home we get to spend time as a family and not worry about the billion things that need to (but probably won't) get done because we are both rushing home from work.

This is our life. We like it. It's not for everyone, but it's right for us.

1 comment:

Kent and Annie said...

I'm so glad you are happy with your decision. You will never regret it! Can you imagine missing all those "firsts" or those little changes every day that the daycare would have seen!?!