Friday, January 22, 2010

Fast Food Friday

Today's Fast Food Friday had a twist. Instead of having a fast food dinner in we went down to the Salvation Army so that Bob could volunteer in the soup kitchen with the staff from one of his elementary schools.

I was going to take pictures because we all (even Etta) took our aprons and were ready to help.

But once we got there I realized that it was not a "game" or "photo op" for some crazy mom and her camera.

There were people there that have to be there. And not that it wasn't tasty, but I don't think that you would be there unless you had to be.

And there were kids there. Kids that I don't think had lunch today - because there was not school. One boy was very polite. Etta and I didn't get into line to eat until about 5:30. 5:30 is the time that you can go back for seconds. Anyway, the boy said, "Oh, here, you can go in front of me because you haven't eaten yet."

Incredible. I could tell that he was still hungry. I declined his offer and got in line behind him.

The people were very friendly, respectful and seemed to get along with everyone. I guess that if you go to the soup kitchen regularly you would probably get to know the other people who go regularly. Right now I just can't imagine that.

It really made me think. We are, of course, on a budget since I am staying home. Some days it seems like we won't be able to make it. Or that it's "not fair" that we can't go out to eat because if we do we won't have enough money to buy food for regular meals before the next pay day.

But then something happens that makes me realize how incredibly BLESSED we actually are.

We are usually just picky.

Which brings me to the next part of the story. Etta refused to eat dinner. Refused. Wouldn't eat the biscuit (which was plain), wouldn't eat the corn, wouldn't eat the fruit cocktail with whipped cream and little marshmallows, wouldn't even eat the cookie. Guess who is going to be hungry in the morning?

But things happen. I have been reading about the situation in Haiti. We probably WASTE more water in one day than some of those people would come close to killing for. We probably throw away more food "waste" daily than those people would eat in a week.

Sometimes I just need to sit down and re-prioritize "wants" and "needs". A lot of what I think I "need" I just really want. Becoming too comfortable with ones current situation can be a bad thing.

[On a side note: In this month's Reader's Digest there is an article about how for the first time in history more people are dying of problems related to OBESITY than to hunger. And you can't spare a pocketfull of change to send to your kids school to go to Haiti...?]

One difference that I am going to have in my life this next year (and I'm not trying to brag or seem holier than thou) is that I am going to volunteer at the Salvation Army for their Thanksgiving Day dinner. I can make a smaller, special dinner for Bob and I on Friday. No need to gorge myself full while there are so many who wouldn't get ANYTHING if it weren't for organizations like the SA.

This was a rambling post, but I never said I was an English major.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Emily,
I adore you. And I am so thankful for all you are, and all you do. You inspire me and challenge me. Thank you for talking about issues that are so real, and so much on my heart, as well. We have so very much... Will we reverse our thinking to God's econonmy and realize that we have more when we give it away? I pray so... more for myself than anyone.

Kent and Annie said...

Thanks Emily for reminding us about what is important! We have been trying to do better on needs and wants with our family. It's challenging with all the messages in our society that tell us that more is better. It's hard to imagine those poor children who can't run to the fridge and grab a bite to eat at any time. We are so blessed and we can give so much more!