Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Spring...Fall Training

For those of you who may not know, some time over the last two years I became a runner. Weird, I know. My favorite running quote used to be, "Who runs for fun?" But then I did a triathlon. An Olympic triathlon at that. Trained for the 1000 yard swim, trained for the 35 K bike, did not really train for the 11 K run. Why? Because I didn't like running. It was just a necessary part of the tri.

Well, some where in the middle of that run I thought to myself, "You know, a half-marathon [13.1 miles] isn't much longer than this 7 mile run, I should do one of those next." Really? Not much longer? Try twice as long! Math never was my strong subject.

And so began my running addiction. I mean, hobby. It lead me through a couple of 5 Ks, a 10 K, and finally a half-marathon in Eugene, OR on April 28th, 2007. Does that date look familiar? One year to the day before Etta was born. Labor was a bit harder.

Nearing the end of my pregnancy I had all sorts of big plans to get back to running. Was going to be back to my full training routine at the end of two months. All you veteren moms reading this can stop laughing now. I did get into a bit of a routine between biking and running at the beginning of August. Then school started. No more daddy to watch the baby while I went running. I know - jogging stroller. Well, our petite peanut was just too darn small to fit right. Had to wait until the beginning of October for it to really work.

But I am now pleased to say that I am back in a fairly good routine. The weather has been perfect and a mid morning run fits right in with that mid morning nap. The pictures below show what wonderful weather I am running in and how beautiful Lewiston can be. Now I just wait for winter to make us adjust again.






My new goal? The Missoula marathon next July. Anyone want to join me?

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Yes! I always do the Missoula half! It's fun. And you have a place to stay if you want... although you might want an actual bed if you're going to run. :)

Christine said...

I'm in.

Breath. Just Breath. ;o)

Emily, Bob, Etta & Mae said...

Okay, I think that it is going to be a "Yeah, I'm 30 run!" We can definitely do this thing. And being in there for each other will make it possible.