Monday, December 15, 2008

The reason for the season





Last Christmas my mother-in-law gave me the entire Nativity set that I had been pining for for years. Bob and I were trying to figure out how we could get it a piece at a time so that it could actually be affordable for us. (It would have taken about five years I think.) And then last year we sat down to open gifts - and there it was. In its entirety. What an incredible blessing. I went right home and set it up on our mantle. And then left it up all of January because we had gotten it just before Christmas.

This year it was the very first thing that I put up. Last weekend I came into the living room and noticed that the sun was shining through the windows giving the whole scene such an ethereal glow. If I had better photography skills you could probably "feel" it a bit better - but I tried.

We are in a new place this year as a family. Etta Grace has joined us and I am no longer working. Unlike previous years we cannot say, "Put it on the card, we can cover it in January". I have been looking for creative ways to make personal gifts for friends and family. Gift giving is one of my favorite things. It always has been. I don't care if I receive anything, but I love seeing a person's face when I have found just the right gift for them. I am hoping that this year, even though I don't have the same amount of money to spend, I can still see that look.

But I am also holding close the fact that it isn't about gifts. Well, not about the gifts that we give each other. It is about the gift that God gave us so long ago. Every day I try to take Etta to a Nativity scene and say to her, "Dear Jesus, thank you for being born. Amen".

No comments: