Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fast Food Friday

This is going to be a new post that I am going to try to do each Saturday.

On Friday nights Bob and I have date night. This normally includes going to Adcope to play racquetball and/or swim and then home for a "fast food dinner".

This came about last winter when we were trying to find ways to have fun and yet spend little to no extra money. We already have the membership to Adcope and they have free daycare in the evenings. Yay! We already had racquetball gear and swimming stuff. Perfect.

But to go at 5:00 on a Friday for about an hour means that there isn't much time for dinner prep when we get home. That's also about when I discovered that it is often SO MUCH EASIER to prep/make dinner while Etta is taking her afternoon nap. So on Fridays I decided to get dinner "oven ready" during the day and not have to worry about it when we got home from our date.

And even though we try to eat mostly healthy, most of the time, it is always fun to not worry about it every once in awhile. Hence the "fast food" part of the title. We don't actually BUY fast food. I absolutely DETEST waiting for very unhealthy, over-priced food, usually not tasty food. (Don't get me wrong, we do eat out - very rarely - but it really isn't "relaxing" to me...)

So yesterday I made "Hot and Sour Soup" (recipe by Nancy Nelson), Chicken Lo Mein and "Susie" egg rolls. This is the first time that I have made Chinese for Fast Food Friday, but it worked pretty nicely since all of the prepping and cutting could be done early and the cooking doesn't take very long.

I apologize for the quality of my picture. I don't have a fancy camera and I'm not very good with it. But if you zoom in you can see the tasty morsels in the Lo Mein.

1 comment:

Kent and Annie said...

Oh my goodness, that looks so wonderful. I've been having some cravings lately, and my mouth is sooo watering because of your post. I may have to do a Chinese dinner one of these nights. Any tips on the egg rolls?

I love the idea of a date night. I have friends here that do that as well. It always seems so challenging!