Friday, December 18, 2009

Fast Food Friday

Can someone explain to me why when I have nothing that MUST be done (like yesterday) I have a ton of time at my fingertips and even find myself wasting time. But when I have an entire LIST of things to get done (today) I can't seem to find time to do even half of it? Very frustrating.

Overall it was a pretty good day. Etta's imagination is exploding. We played, she played, we read, she "cooked", she napped, we ran errands, went to pilates, had a pretty good time. Until about 4:30. She woke up from her afternoon nap dry. Yay! But then had TWO accidents in less than an hour. I know, I know, "She's still little". But I think that she knows. After Bob got home she had ZERO accidents. But overall it was a great day.

Another epiphany that I had today. The things that I make for "Fast Food Friday" are not usually "fast" foods to make. That is probably why people order them from a restaurant...I got in my head about a week ago that I wanted to try making calzones. Have pepperoni in the freezer and mozzarella in the fridge. Why not just make a pizza? That's what I normally do. But hey, I also like "variety". (Ask my bro...)

Looked up calzones online. How hard could it be, really? Aren't they just folded pizza? Well, basically, yes. But found an interesting fact that "real" calzones don't have sauce IN-side. You serve the sauce on the side. Okay, easy enough.

Made a batch of my favorite pizza dough in the bread machine. For the filling I sauteed onion, garlic and green pepper. Browned ground sausage with some garlic pepper, dried basil, dried oregano and dried red pepper flakes. Layered that in with mushrooms, pepperoni and mozzarella. Folded them up and an hour later...



After putting in that much prep time I decided that they needed to be really really good or else we would go back to straight up pizza. But after they were baked...



And then cut into...



And finally, a taste? They were SO good. And different from pizza. I've used those exact same things as toppings before, but this was different. Not necessarily better, but worth the trouble.

And the rest of date night? We took Etta to Locomotive Park to enjoy the "ights". Always a good time.

2 comments:

Team Weaver said...

Em, they look soooo delicious and HUGE!!! Wow...that is like dinner for a week. Glad they turned out so well. Can't wait to head home...just have to make it out of the snow in DC. Say a prayer for flight to not be cancelled. ~ Aunt Molly

Kent and Annie said...

Yumm! That's so funny, I've been making those instead of pizza too! What a fun change and tasty too. I gotta say, your calzones look much more yummy than mine!