Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Race Day!

This past weekend we traveled to Cashmere, WA to visit with friends Kent, Annie and Brooke (more pics to follow soon!). I also managed to fit in the Leavenworth Oktoberfest Half-Marathon. Despite weather reports that promised rain and wind I was again blessed with a perfect day for running. Beautiful scenery, sun, cool temperatures and a lot of energetic fellow runners. (Over 1,500!!) It is hard to believe that after 2 half-marathons, a full marathon and a few other shorter running events - and after seven months of running training - I am basically done for the season. Although I was VERY happy when I did not have to go out in the cold and dark this morning! I am going to continue with pilates, yoga and try out some water aerobics to get me through the winter.

Family pic on race day. Happy runner with a very supportive crew!



Bob prepping for the day.



What I was running toward for part of the race. All I could think of was "The hills are alive..."



I missed the "official" start and was caught off guard. Ripped off my long sleeved shirt and went. Although it's not like I was competing and was going to start out of the blocks...



The race begins



There was also a "costume" portion of the race. Some were really creative and some were, well, probably last minute. And along the course there were a ton of spectators. A lot of whom were already enjoying the fruits of Oktoberfest. My favorite was the group of guys (probably about 8) all sitting in the box of a short box pickup. It looked like a hot tub. Only not...









They were waiting for me at the end of mile 4. It just happened to be during one of my one minute walks. =)



And they were also at about mile 12.5 I think. My knee was hurting at that point and I just wanted to be done.



Usually Bob is really great at getting me crossing the finish line. Unfortunately this guy...



stepped in front of him. And when I finished I wasn't in the mood to stand around and take smiley pictures. That is why I need my Christine with me. She paces me and enjoys the smiles and the tears (of happiness) when we finish.

2 comments:

Kent and Annie said...

Fun photos! I especially like the first one. One funny thought from the race... my friend Rebecca (that we saw at registration) was handed an empty beer bottle at mile 9. I guess I should not be so surprised seeing it is Leavenworth! I'm also guessing that was not you! :)

Christine said...

I LOVE these pics! It made me wish I was there with YOU! I am so proud of you, and I love sharing running with you. Enjoy your break from it, 'cause we have more good times ahead! ;o)
I treasure you...